Our Best Answer - What is academic advising?
Academic advising is a collaboration between a student and his/her advisor with the goal of sharing information, exploring resources, and building skills to assist the student in achieving his/her academic and career goals.
At Cal Poly Pomona, your advisor can be a faculty member from your academic department, a professional advisor, or both. Academic advising can help you select your major, plan for your career or graduate school as well as determine what courses to take to successfully meet your degree requirements. Academic advisors can keep you informed of registration and academic processes, campus programs and services, and internship and other opportunities that might benefit you.
See your academic advisor if you have questions about your academic and career goals, the requirements for your major, advising holds, or if you have concerns about your academic performance
The advising format may differ among colleges, so you should check with your academic department for more information. You can find the Advising Directory on Student Success Central. You can also find academic and advising resources on Student Success Central.
- Do you offer tutoring services?
- How do I find out who my advisor is?
- Where can I get advising?
- Who is my Transfer and Graduation Advisor (TGA)?
- When should I see my academic advisor?
- Why do I have an advising hold?
Didn't find your answer? Try searching our site or send us a message.
Top 10 Questions
- What types of financial aid do you have available?
- When will I get my GWT score?
- How do I get an unofficial transcript?
- How do I access my email?
- What is my Bronco ID number?
- Do you require letters of recommendation?
- How do I change or reset my BroncoPassword?
- How do I withdraw from the school?
- What is EOP?
- How and when will I receive my financial aid?